Benadryl saved my moms life

You would never think that after having been treated with amoxycillin (an antiobiotic) plenty of times before, you would ever have an allergic reaction to it. But that’s exactly what happened to my mother. Even stranger was that the response was delayed. Three days after she had finished the bottle according to doctors orders, she felt her throat begin to constrict.

She made it into the bathroom, not entirely sure what was happening yet but said within a matter of just moments she felt as though her soul was leaving her body. She called out to my dad who thankfully heard her and through ragged gasps said simply two words - Benadryl, Hospital.

My dad knew then that something was terribly wrong. My mom is a tough cookie so if she even mentions the word sick you know something is up. He immediately grabbed the liquid Benadryl from the bathroom cupboard and poured some down her throat (not the whole bottle of course), then proceeded to get her to the hospital where they were able to stabilize her. The attending physician told my dad he had saved her life by having that Benadryl on hand.

Now I make sure I always have some in my purse and in our home just in case. Benadryl worked for my mom and I hope it will never have to work for me that way but I’ll always have it around just in case.

Comments

16 Responses to “Benadryl saved my moms life”

1. Beth@sportsmommaNo Gravatar on September 17th, 2008 7:42 am

Amen to that!!! I am highly allergic to ant bites and twice Benedryl has opened my airways enough to let me survive until I got to the urgent care facility!! Thankfully I now take shots to prevent the reactions!

Benedryl really is a life saver!!

2. KathieNo Gravatar on September 17th, 2008 8:58 am

Wow, how scary. I think I am going to go buy some Benedryl! I never think of these things on my own!

3. Memarie LaneNo Gravatar on September 17th, 2008 9:09 am

Benadryl was a godsend for us last week when Jessamine was sick too, even though it wasn’t allergies. She had a severe rash and swelling, and the Benadryl kept the rash and swelling down. I’ll always keep it around from now on.

4. LucyNo Gravatar on September 17th, 2008 9:12 am

I never had Benadryl until my daughter started getting huge itchy lumps from mosquito bites. Benadryl was the only thing that worked to get those down and give her relief. Now I’m doubly glad I’ve got some on hand!

5. MeganNo Gravatar on September 17th, 2008 10:12 am

Thank you! Great post, and I will carry benadryl in my purse. Thanks.

Megans last blog post..Overscheduled

6. lifeasamamaNo Gravatar on September 17th, 2008 10:15 am

yup. we carry it in the diaper bag because my dd has a dairy-allergy, but you’d be surprised how many times i’ve pulled it out for other people as well. thankfully no one’s had an anaphylactic reaction, but i can’t imagine not having benadryl with me at all times.

7. MichelleNo Gravatar on September 17th, 2008 10:55 am

Wow. I am still shocked & relieved & I don’t know you! We generally keep allergy liquid in the house, but I’ll be mentioning it to my DH in just in case!

Michelles last blog post..Donut Muffins

8. KimberlyNo Gravatar on September 17th, 2008 12:22 pm

I think it should be essential in all medicine cabinets. Soooo glad your mum is okay, hun, what a scary close call!

Kimberlys last blog post..Moving On Up

9. AnneNo Gravatar on September 17th, 2008 12:48 pm

wow, i’m throwing that bottle in my purse

10. Thalia's ChildNo Gravatar on September 17th, 2008 12:58 pm

When I discovered I was allergic to onions, it was because my throat started to close. Fortunately one of the women I worked with gave me some benadryl and within minutes, I was fine again.

I’ve never run into a drug that works faster. It’s a lifesaver.

I’m glad your Mum is okay!!

Thalia’s Childs last blog post..Self-reflections

11. CristyNo Gravatar on September 17th, 2008 3:57 pm

Huh! I guess I should get some! Thanks! My brother is highly allergic to that too. He starts seeing things… it’s scary.

12. Richelle FNo Gravatar on September 17th, 2008 4:06 pm

Wow! That is scary! Good thing we have some Benedryl!

Richelle Fs last blog post..Preparedness

13. LeslieNo Gravatar on September 17th, 2008 4:37 pm

Having had a pretty good dose of crazy allergic reactions lately…I can totally appreciate this Summer. I had never thought of carrying a bit in my purse though…what a good idea. Maybe I’ll stuff some of those little packets in that are designed for kids and are already measured but are still liquid.

Now that I’m thinking of it…I wonder why I didn’t try the liquid version during my recent allergic reaction to an antibiotic. I only tried the pill form. Hm… :wassat:

Thanks for posting this!

Leslies last blog post..A Schedule Idea That’s Workin’!

14. TonyaNo Gravatar on September 17th, 2008 6:40 pm

I am so glad your mom is well. TFS such an important message.

Tonyas last blog post..~Works 4 Me Wednesday–Plan your own Disney Trip~~

15. An Ordinary MomNo Gravatar on September 18th, 2008 12:52 am

My younger brother is allergic to bees so we learned at an early age to always know where the Benadryl was kept. Now he carries an epipen with him.

And of course my medicine cabinet is also stocked with this stuff.

An Ordinary Moms last blog post..911 - My Tax Dollars At Work

16. jennifer bowenNo Gravatar on September 18th, 2008 4:13 am

yes amoxacillion is just like penacilon and well any thing that end with that word is a for of it . the same with novacane its just like cokecane just a diffent form of it so well when i go to the dr for my self and thay tell me there going to put me on ending with cane or cilon i tell the dr no think you becuse well i know what can happen i found out the heard way abt that . also never mix zertic with robatussing md it will take you for a trip and then some for that any medason . :w00t: :sick:
    jennifer bowens last blog post..tyring to find my self some free time (lol)

Got something to say? Please keep it kind and clean. Otherwise I might have to share your email address with the spammers... Kidding. Kidding. Your email address will never be shared with anyone. But if your comment is inappropriate it will be deleted.