Don’t trash it, donate it instead

alohafriday1.jpg

Around here it’s time to put away Summer clothes for next year or get rid of the ones we’ve grown out of. Every year I donate all the items we no longer use to the Salvation Army and what’s even better is that they pick all of it up. They come to our apartment and haul our bags or boxes of stuff away.

What do you do with all the clothes you get rid of on a yearly basis?

If you want the Salvation Army to pick up your items all you have to do is call 1-800-SA-TRUCK and schedule a pick up. They’ll generally give a you a 2 hour window in which they’ll arrive and they’ve never been later than that for me.

I also do most of our clothes shopping at the Salvation army store. Once a week (and the day will differ depending on your area) all clothing items are 50% off. I’ve found some amazingly cute items for me and all the kids at incredible prices. They’re cheap anyway but I always make sure to go on the day the clothes are 50% off to maximize my savings.

Comments

16 Responses to “Don’t trash it, donate it instead”

1. Jen ENo Gravatar on September 12th, 2008 10:42 am

Well I don’t do it on a yearly basis, but whenever it needs doing I sort through and drop things off at the nearest clothing donation box in our town (which seems to change a lot - we must love moving or something) or if it’s kid’s clothing sometimes I offer it to a friend or family member with a younger son first.

Jen Es last blog post..I’m Like The Little Engine Who Could Blog

2. KimberlyNo Gravatar on September 12th, 2008 11:14 am

Sometimes living in the middle of nowhere, Canada, is really crummy. We don’t even have a thrift store here.

Kimberlys last blog post..Apologies

3. Amy-Happy MommaNo Gravatar on September 12th, 2008 11:47 am

I try to sort through clothing at least twice a year. And I usually call the Goodwill pick up. I did not know that Salvation Army does the same. Thank you for telling us.
    :D

4. Hillary - The Queen I Am NotNo Gravatar on September 12th, 2008 11:49 am

We donate to Goodwill several times a year. For baby clothes, though, we’re saving those for my brother- and sister-in-law. What we won’t save, we plan on donating to the local pregnancy support services office.

Hillary - The Queen I Am Nots last blog post..Wordless Wednesday–The Last Days of Summer

5. TheAngelForeverNo Gravatar on September 12th, 2008 12:52 pm

Whenever we have clothing that is good enough to donate we do that. I usually take them to Goodwill or see if there is anyone that I know that can use them.

Have a nice weekend.

TheAngelForevers last blog post..Aloha Friday #13

6. Christine@AreWeThereYetMomNo Gravatar on September 12th, 2008 1:17 pm

My SIL used to trade clothes back and forth, between our girls, now I give the clothes first to someone I meet that needs them, and tell them keep what they want, and then give the rest to Good Will, if not I’ll either have a garage sale, and with what’s left, I’ll give to Good Will.

7. DeeNo Gravatar on September 12th, 2008 2:13 pm

if it is still in good condition I donate it, if it’s trashed? I trash it!

Dees last blog post..Aloha Friday

8. TaraNo Gravatar on September 12th, 2008 2:40 pm

Usually give to good will or family. It’s amazing how much stuff you end up with that you really don’t need..

Taras last blog post..Aloha Friday "Elections"

9. marissaNo Gravatar on September 12th, 2008 5:53 pm

I usually take all our stuff to Goodwill. I had no idea Salvation Army would come and pick stuff up…thanks for the tip!

marissas last blog post..Thursday Thoughts

10. diana/sunshineNo Gravatar on September 12th, 2008 6:18 pm

i donate them to goodwill

diana/sunshines last blog post..dinner and clean clothes…

11. Deb - Mom of 3 GirlsNo Gravatar on September 12th, 2008 8:36 pm

We have a few garage sales during the year, and whatever doesn’t sell is either donated to Goodwill or packed back up for the next sale. :)

12. TenaNo Gravatar on September 12th, 2008 8:58 pm

Well, since I have 3 boys, I pass a lot of clothes down to the next one, but as the baby outgrows things, I take them to the consignment shop, or give them to friends. Of course I keep a few things for each of the boys to have in their chests.

Tenas last blog post..Aloha Friday: Soundtrack of your life.

13. KelseyNo Gravatar on September 13th, 2008 12:33 am

I reuse most of them and use the fabric to sew something new such as jeans to shorts or long sleeve shirts to short sleeve. If there is nothing I can make I make underwear.

Kelseys last blog post..::The Turkish; They Dont Care if Kids Shove Tampons in Their Ears::

14. AnneNo Gravatar on September 13th, 2008 9:09 am

I have a garage sale first then what doesn’t sell gets taken to goodwill, I used to donate to the we care place in town but they shut down

15. CammiNo Gravatar on September 13th, 2008 12:23 pm

I either make a trade at Kid-To-Kid for something else I need, donate it to Goodwill or give it to friends/people I know who need them. I don’t know anyone who would turn down free kids clothing, especially when they are growing like weeds for the first few years!

Cammis last blog post..Where Everybody Knows Your Name

16. CathiNo Gravatar on September 13th, 2008 2:44 pm

I’ve taken to placing unwanted items at the curb with a FREE sign. Everything disappears with in minutes.

Cathis last blog post..Pink Saturday - "Wendy"

Got something to say? Please keep it kind and clean. Otherwise I might have to share your email address with the spammers... Kidding. Kidding. Your email address will never be shared with anyone. But if your comment is inappropriate it will be deleted.