Help me with my laundry please!

Yeah, I’m a little embarrassed to admit that I’m not very good at doing laundry. I mean I get it done, I just don’t do anything other than throw it in the washer. See, I keep hoping that the washer by itself will miraculously take the stains out but I’ve finally come to accept that is not to be. So give me your best advice:

* What stain removers do you recommend?
* How long are you suppose to let the item chill out with just the stain remover on it?
* How about on whites? My boys wear white shirts to school and come home with markings and dirt all over them every day.
* Isn’t there some miracle product that will remove old stains or stains that weren’t discovered before the clothes were thrown in the dryer?
* Any other recommendations?

Comments

30 Responses to “Help me with my laundry please!”

1. CherylNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 12:13 am

My favorite stain remover is clear Dawn or other good de-greasing dish soaps. I squirt some on the stain before I toss it in the laundry basket.

Good luck. :o)

Cheryls last blog post..Amazing Grace

2. MarianNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 12:40 am

Oxi-Clean Stain Remover spray is amazing stuff, and has saved many a garment at our house!

3. CindyNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 12:44 am

For day-to-day stains, I use Spray N Wash…often I spray on just before tossing it in the wash, and it seems to take out the greasy stains my son leaves on his shirt when HE WIPES HIS FACE AND HANDS on his shirt during meals. Grrrr! I also have a bottle of the stuff in my bedroom, so my husband and I can pretreat our clothes when we notice a stain, before throwing it in the laundry hamper. I can’t wait until my children are old enough to do this…often I don’t notice stains until I’M FOLDING THE CLEAN LAUNDRY! Oops! Back it goes into the wash, after being sprayed.

Anything that doesn’t come out with Spray N Wash gets soaked in hot water with OxyClean for 12-24 hours. There isn’t much that doesn’t come out with OxyClean…except for chalk…see my post!

Cindys last blog post..Get the chalk out

4. Mrs. OrganicNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 12:48 am

The veryubest thing for taking out blood is water with a pH of 11.5. The blood just floats away as you watch. Amazing!

5. Jordan (MamaBlogga)No Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 1:12 am

My favorite thing to use is stain sticks. I think our current one is Spray’n'Wash. I just go through the laundry as I’m putting it in the washer and pull out anything that’s stained, treat it there and throw them in. It’s worked on both my kids’ baby poop stains, ring around the collar, etc.

Jordan (MamaBlogga)s last blog post..Yes, please!

6. JaniceNWNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 1:22 am

Nothing I hate more than folding laundry. Why? I have no idea. The same reason I detest unloading the dishwasher while I don’t mind loading it. I’m crazed, LOL.

My weekend had it’s highs and it’s lows. Lows on my http://crazedbrainblurbs.blogspot.com

HUGS!!

JaniceNWs last blog post..Paradise By The Dashboard Lights

7. Katie @ 3 Blondes and a RedheadNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 1:31 am

I pre-treat NOTHING. Every once in a while, it comes back to bite me, but here’s my routine:

I do laundry 2-3 times a week. One load of lights, one of darks. I put it in with detergent, some WHITE VINEGAR (maybe 1/2-1 cup?), and if I noticed some stains on the way into the washer, I’ll throw in some Oxy Clean. I have a setting where it can soak for 30 minutes before cleaning and I do that, no matter what. I wash in warm water and I always do a 2nd rinse. (this started b/c my daughter had really sensitive skin as an infant and I noticed our clothes were cleaner.

Oxy Clean is AMAZING. I used the baby version and it got out carrot stains, blow out diaper issues, you name it. Just let it soak in some Oxy in hot water for an hour and it disappeared.

The white vinegar does something magical and I don’t need dryer sheets. The other trick I use is those Shout Stain Catchers. At first, I thought they were a crock, but THEY WORK. Throw them in with a new shirt or something that could bleed and it absorbs the color runs…it’s crazy. Sometimes it comes out red, other times blue, other times it’s still white and can be reused. I usually throw that into my dark loads when I notice a red shirt or something.

Once a stain comes out of the dryer, that piece of clothing is done.

Katie @ 3 Blondes and a Redheads last blog post..Kaylin’s 1st Haircut

8. kennaNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 1:45 am

Seriously, I can’t be bothered with stain remover right now. I’m like you. I just throw it in there. And if the stains don’t come out, then they sit in a basket of “stained” clothes at the back of the closet, until I am low on clothes, and then I try to figure something else out. I am the laziest housewife ever. Well, my house is clean, but as soon as something gets complicated in the cleaning world - like I run into an obstacle such as a stain, I just pretend it’s not happening and move on to clean the next room. It’s a lovely thing, denial.

kennas last blog post..My new design is finished!

9. kailaniNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 5:43 am

I use Shout! It’s really good at cleaning off all the red dirt from Girlie Girl’s school.

kailanis last blog post..The Women Behind “The Women”

10. JenNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 7:24 am

Oxy Clean is awesome.

Letting any stained items (old or otherwise) soak for awhile in hot water and oxy clean usually does the trick.

Also, keeping a stain stick in your bathroom or whereever your hamper is can help with the pre-treating. Because if you pre-treat BEFORE your clothes sit around for a few days, you often can get out stains easier.

Good luck!

Jens last blog post..WFMW: HE Washer Odor

11. LisaNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 8:34 am

Dawn dish soap or Tide [I buy a small bottle only for stains]. Once it’s gone into the drier your pretty well stuck, but these can help lighten it. I also keep a “Tide pen” in the car and in the kitchen to catch stains as they happen. With little ones keeping one in your purse or an outside pocket of the diaper bag is a good idea, too. When mine wore uniforms I found it was best to buy more expensive shirts–like Old Navy or Gap or Izod uniform basic shirts instead of discount brands. They held up better and washed much better. I used Clorox [follow label directions] and hot water. Check for the fabric content first. If you have the option to dry them outside the sun helps whites, too.

Lisas last blog post..Works for Me Wednesday–Backwards Edition: Best Litter Box for small house?

12. AndreaNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 8:39 am

I’m good with laundry. My mom insisted that we all were when we left for college. To make sure, we had to do our own laundry in high school and she checked up on us. Yuck! I said I’m good with laundry - I don’t always like it. Here’s my advice.
    * What stain removers do you recommend?
    I use Shout stain remover to treat a stain. If I get something on an article of clothing, I spray it with shout and rub it in before putting it in the laundry basket (I’m an apartment dweller, so I go to the laundry mat once a week). When I get to the laundry mat, I spray it again before washing it.
    For bad stains, I use Biz to soak it. You use a whole scoop in about a gallon of water. You can buy powder biz or liquid - I’m stuck on liquid because it’s not as messy. Spray the stain with Shout before putting it to soak. The longer you soak the cleaner it comes - I’ve gotten blood out of white stuff before. At least overnight, but sometimes I leave it for several days, until laundry day. Just put it in a little tub/bucket and set it aside.
    I also use Biz in every load - I do a scoop/dose of laundry detergent, and the smallest scoop/dose of Biz. I only use Biz on my whites and they stay white. (Well, now that I’m at the laundry mat I do use bleach (the nice Clorox stuff that works on colors) every other week to keep them ultra bright. Hope it helps!
    One last tip. If you must wash different colors together, I use a shout color-catcher sheet. It looks like a dryer sheet, but you throw it in the wash and it picks up all the “extra” dyes running around the water. I can wash a red dress shirt with a white blouse with no issues!

Andreas last blog post..Before Green Gables

13. AnnetteNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 9:04 am

Can’t believe no one has menioned Zout yet. It’s my stain remover of choice. (I my experience, much better than Shout and Spray and was.) I might have to give Oxy Clean a whirl, though.

And for whites–gotta love the bleach pen!

Annettes last blog post..Body Movies–Yes!

14. KimNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 9:13 am

I use Oxi-Clean with every load… we have an HE washer, so I throw a scoop in with the clothes. It has worked so well. For towels, I always use plain bleach (they now make HE) and it keeps them smelling fresh. I’ve always been a Tide, Bounce, Downey gal…. but recently gave Costco’s Kirkland brand a try and for the price like it a lot. Hope that helps!

Kims last blog post..Works For Me ~ Movies & Recipes

15. TotallyscrappyNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 9:25 am

I’m with the Oxy people… Throw some in.

Totallyscrappys last blog post..WFMW: Kids and Chores

16. CristyNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 9:48 am

No way around it, you’ve gotta work for those white whites and those spotless T’s… unless you just keep your kids in a cage. That works too. I have one day (Fridays) that I do laundry. I sort into colors (dark, mediums, and whites) and then as I load them into the machine, I spot check the kids clothes and sometimes the hubby’s, and if it has a stain I spray it with Spray N Wash (love that stuff. Smells good and also makes a fabulous cloth cleaner for couches and floors) and it sits while I go through the rest of the batch. Then I take all of the sprayed clothes to my kitchen sink and scrub them all individually, and pretty much if you don’t get the stain out there, it ain’t coming out! (Sometimes if it is a food stain it will come out later) If the shirt is white and cotton like a T-shirt, I will get straight Clorox and take a tooth brush and spot the white areas with stains. Just be super careful. It works like an eraser. DON’T bleach your husbands white Dress shirts or anything white stretchy fabric. It will ruin it or turn it yellow.

17. themotherboardNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 9:49 am

Oxy Clean is the superhero of laundry. Really. I soak my whites in it from 30 min to overnight (depending on the stain). It has turned my dingy whites white again… I love Oxy Clean!!

If you find the washer that will miraculously FOLD the laundry– let me know! I am great at getting it washed… but folding it? eh not so much!

themotherboards last blog post..Bucket Filler

18. BeckyNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 11:09 am

I swear by Shout Advanced gel spray (blue spray bottle). I’ve never been good at remembering to treat stains before they set in, and I was constantly having a problem with the subsequent permanently set stains. I’ve tried a lot of stain removers over the years, but the only one that works very nearly every single time for me is Shout Advanced. You spray the gel onto the stain, work it in (I always use a toothbrush), and let it sit for *at least* 5-10 minutes before washing, or even a week after you treat the stain. It’s been a lifesaver for me. Sometimes, I remember to treat things right away, and then get to let it sit until I’m ready to wash (which, yeah, it sometimes at least a week later). Most of the time, I sort through my laundry looking for anything stained, treat it all at once, and do my laundry 10-30 minutes later, after everything’s had a chance to sit with the stain remover. Works for me!! :)

Beckys last blog post..Prayer

19. KarleneNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 11:59 am

I’ll take on the stains question. First however, I must say that I do not sell this stuff, I am not a distributor, I never will be, and it’s the ONLY one of their products that I buy. It’s sort of expensive, but fortunately, it lasts a long, long, long time!

THE best stain remover in the world, bar none is, SA8 Solutions All Fabric Bleach, by Amway.

I make a little paste of it, sort of like thick pudding, put it right on the spot and let it sit overnight. It has never failed me–even on sugar free fudgesicle which nothing else gets out!

Here’s a story: I’d bought a new dress that was cream, pumpkin, tan and green. My mom washed it with something and the cream turned magenta. I was heartbroken because I loved the dress and had only worn it once. Nothing would get the pink out. But I couldn’t make myself throw it away, so I kept it. TEN YEARS later, I discovered this product. Put some in the regular wash and the cream turned cream again!!! Unfortunately, I’d gained a lot of weight and the dress didn’t fit anymore. But the miracle sold me on the product.

Karlenes last blog post..Labor Day Meme

20. KimberlyNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 12:22 pm

Ummm…I never pretreat. I’m too lazy.

21. LeslieNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 2:06 pm

I am a big fan of Melaleuca products. They are eco-friendly and do a great job of cleaning! I have used oxi-clean before and like it pretty well…but now I just use Melaleuca’s pre-spot for stains (the sooner the better) and scrub it into the fibers of the clothing with my finger or a toothbrush and let it set for up to an hour. Then I wash with MelaPower and MelaBrite (detergent and color safe-bleach, respectively). My clothes come out looking great - ring around the collar is gone and because the detergents are the pH of water…no problems with sensitive skin - plus the stuff is actually total biodegradable.

Leslies last blog post..More Visibility

22. TamiNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 3:46 pm

I love the Dual Action Spray n Wash (pink liquid one side, white the other, mix once you squirt it out) as a pre-treat — it even got permanent marker out of my son’s jacket :)

I also love Biz. My MIL turned me on to it when my son was a baby and it gets out those nasty formula stains! You can use it in the washer with your regular detergent or you can use it to soak your clothes. My MIL use to have a bucket with Biz and water prepared and would throw in things as needed. I usually turn the washer on and let it fill up some, pour in the biz, throw in the clothes and let them sit for about 30 minutes. Then I just let the washer fill up and throw in enough clothes to make a full load. This would probably work great on your boys’ white school shirts!

Hope this helps!

Tamis last blog post..Sizzling Summer Vacation Spectacle

23. jennifer bowenNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 3:53 pm

ok heres what i use i use a good landry soap with blich and i use a stain remover and oxie clean as well in my wash and some dawn and well i even some times do a 2nd wash just to get the stan’s out of the landery bfor puting any thing is the dryer . and well that works out grate for me here last night on the t.v i seen some stuff called bloks or some thing like that but here what it is to do is help keep your things from geting staned befor hand . and well thats kind of neet to find out but well olny if you could get it like at the store then well i get some of that and use it just to try it out but well i dont think its in stores just yet.

jennifer bowens last blog post..this is abt where i’m from for the blog trip

24. Richelle FNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 7:20 pm

I like Shout better than Spray n Wash, because Spray n Wash is not supposed to dry on there. The Shout you can spray on and leave it for a while. I use it mostly for everyday kind of things. If I have a tougher stain, I soak it in water with oxyclean. It seems to work pretty well. I’ve used Dawn for greasy stains as well.

Richelle Fs last blog post..Fun Game

25. loniNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 9:59 pm

Wow, you have a lot of good advice on here. I’m sure they all work pretty good. My recommendations however, is a super cheap one. I had a bottle of Family Dollar brand stain remover that I never thought much of until it ran out, then I thought, “okay now I ‘m going to get some good stuff” and went out to buy some more expensive stain remover. I tried two or three different brands, but none of them worked as well as the Family dollar brand. I don’t remember which brands I compared and the Family dollar stuff, may not be the best on the market, but it is super cheap and works really well. I never pre-treat with it, I just spray it on and throw it in the washer.

lonis last blog post..Wastin No Time

26. KimNo Gravatar on September 3rd, 2008 11:20 pm

We’ve been using the shout spray that I got as a CVS deal. It seems to be working pretty well. The Bean also comes home with unidentifiable stains on her white polos. We’ve retired several due to “spaghetti day” We actually kept one for her teacher to put on her over her outfit on spaghetti day so that it took the brunt of the lunch stains, and we didn’t have another ruined shirt on our hands.

Kims last blog post..Works For Me Wednesday - Backwards - Kid’s Praise CDs

27. KellyNo Gravatar on September 4th, 2008 2:22 pm

Hey! I just shared my laundry tip on last week’s WFMW so check it out.

I’m real big on baking soda and OxiClean. Zout is good too, but I don’t use it anymore since discovering baking soda.

Many people have commented to me about using vinegar and as soon as my fabric softener runs out, I’m going to try it.

Good luck!

Kellys last blog post..Happy Anniversary, My Love!

28. HeidiNo Gravatar on September 6th, 2008 2:35 am

Oxi Clean gets out some stains that have gone through the dryer. Amazing stuff. Let it sit for a few hours, or a day or two if it’s a stubborn stain. It sometimes take out dye though.

Heidis last blog post..our “terrible” economy

29. Veggiemomof2No Gravatar on September 6th, 2008 5:49 pm

I’ve heard those Shout Stain sheets are awesome for catching bleeding colors.

My mother in law is our family stain wizard. We send stained clothes to her & she leaves them in a Biz soak for about a week & they always come clean.

Veggiemomof2s last blog post..Free Movie Reminder!

30. Amanda DNo Gravatar on September 7th, 2008 6:30 pm

I don’t know if someone has all ready said it but Zout rocks. It is the best out there. But DO NOT buy the foam. Just the spray. Or the concentrated bottle, but NOT the foam.

Good luck!

Amanda Ds last blog post..Yoga Kids

Got something to say? Please keep it kind and clean. Otherwise I might have to share your email address with the spammers... Kidding. Kidding. Your email address will never be shared with anyone. But if your comment is inappropriate it will be deleted.