Stunned

I’m not often left speechless but I came across a link yesterday that left me so. A couple expecting their second baby has had their lives turned upside down. A severe infection has left young mother Carol Decker, blind and an amputee. She has lost both of her legs and one arm because of this infection. I think it’s a miracle she’s still alive. But my heart just breaks when I think of her not being able even to see what her new baby looks like. Luckily the baby is ok but the lives of this family have changed so drastically I don’t know how they’re coping. You can read an official news article and visit their blog at the links below:

Post-Natal infection costs mother legs, arms, sight

Scott and Carol Decker’s Blog

My desire in posting about this is to encourage all bloggers who read this to make this families situation known. The more people who know about this, the more donations the Deckers might receive to aid in recovery for Carol. The bills for this family have surpassed $2 million dollars at this point. I just couldn’t read this article and not do or say something.

Comments

12 Responses to “Stunned”

1. Michelle at ScribbitNo Gravatar on September 24th, 2008 10:44 am

I saw this mentioned somewhere else earlier but they had said–obviously in error–that it was a flesh eating bacteria. Either way wow, what a thing to happen. I cannot imagine.

Michelle at Scribbits last blog post.."Go Ahead! Arrest Me–I DARE You!"

2. JaniceNWNo Gravatar on September 24th, 2008 11:49 am

I missed this in my own backyard! It’s extremely rare. When the body is trying to save itself, it shuts down blood supply to the extremeities to save the internal organs. But the odds of this happening with pneumonia are almost non existent.

The family has many challenges to handle. I’m adding my prayers.

3. SummerNo Gravatar on September 24th, 2008 1:05 pm

Michelle,
    I think at some point she actually had that too. Her husband put something up on their blog about her skin sloughing off because of it. So much has happened to this poor mother.

4. the egel nestNo Gravatar on September 24th, 2008 3:15 pm

Wow…that is so sad…but it seems like they have support from the community and from internet donations…still…a difficult situation…and sad :( You are very kind to post about it :)

Bradley
    The Egel Nest

5. KimberlyNo Gravatar on September 24th, 2008 4:09 pm

Oh how it wrenches the heart to read about things like this. Petty life frustrations kind of melt away in contemplation of that kind of struggle and grief.

Kimberlys last blog post..Come on over…

6. CristyNo Gravatar on September 24th, 2008 4:11 pm

Oh. My. Gosh.

7. MeishaNo Gravatar on September 24th, 2008 9:56 pm

What?! I didn’t know that sort of thing could even happen! I am speechless as well.

Meishas last blog post..Ummm… hi, again?

8. marissaNo Gravatar on September 24th, 2008 10:54 pm

I actually heard about a similar case earlier today about a woman who lost both legs and both arms due to an infection, shortly after giving birth to her first child. It’s so sad - I can’t even imagine what it must be like to be left blind, unable to see my child.

marissas last blog post..Wordless Wednesday - Bobbing for Cheerios

9. KimNo Gravatar on September 24th, 2008 11:11 pm

How terrible! I’ll be keeping them in my prayers!

Kims last blog post..A Good Day

10. JackiNo Gravatar on September 25th, 2008 2:44 pm

Two million dollars? Good grief! I mean, the hospital has to know they will never be able to pay that back, so why bother charging them that much?

Jackis last blog post..insert snappy title here

11. An Ordinary MomNo Gravatar on September 25th, 2008 5:05 pm

This definitely puts life in perspective.

An Ordinary Moms last blog post..The Treasure of September

12. Mozi Esme's MommyNo Gravatar on September 26th, 2008 8:23 am

Thanks for the link. What a heartbreaking story.

Mozi Esme’s Mommys last blog post..WFMW - "M" Crafts

Got something to say? Please keep it kind and clean. Otherwise I might have to share your email address with the spammers... Kidding. Kidding. Your email address will never be shared with anyone. But if your comment is inappropriate it will be deleted.