Crochet Handbag with Flower, Leaves and Bead Detail

I’ve been crocheting for 15 years now and what have I got to show for it? Nothing. Everything I crochet I give away. Well, there is the exception of my childrens’ baby blessing blankets I guess. But everything else? Gone. I’ve made baby dresses and baby blankets and baby hats and scarves and baby booties (see a theme here? Quick and easy is my forte) galore. But I make them for friends’ baby showers and poof, they’re gone. Which is absolutely fine with me because I love to give homemade whenever I can.

But I was realizing that even with all my years of experience, I haven’t really ever made up my own patterns. Why not? I don’t know, but once the idea struck me I knew I had to do it. So I present:

By the way I gave this one away too. But I’m thinking about making one just for me in my favorite colors because I think it’s really cute!

Here’s a close up of the leaves, pattern created by me:

And of the flower, pattern created by me:

I especially liked crocheting beads into the center of the flower. I hadn’t ever tried that before.

After I created each element I strung some beads onto two strands of elastic. First I hand sewed the strands of beads onto the purse. Then I sewed on each leaf and finally I sewed the flower on top of all.

Gramma DuckyJanuary 23rd, 2009 at 11:09 am

Summer, you are just TOOOOOO amazing!!!!

KathieJanuary 23rd, 2009 at 11:11 am

Wow Summer! I love it. I would pay you to make me one. Or maybe I will just have to have you teach me to crochet!

MelissaJanuary 23rd, 2009 at 12:08 pm

I can crochet a simple (emphasis on SIMPLE) blanket. The end. You are amazing!! The bag is awesome and I love the beading on the flower! So fun!!

Melissas last blog post..

Becky NewsonJanuary 23rd, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Fabulous!!!! It is truly gorgeous and so well-done. :)

I learned to crochet as a teenager, then never made anything beyond my first project. I got a bunch of hooks and yarn and books a few years ago, with the intent of re-learning and making 1) a baby hat, and 2) a baby blanket. I did the hat. The blanket got about as big as 5 inches x 4 feet, and I stopped. Bleh. And that was meant for my 3.5 year old, and I’ve had another baby since then. I think it’s safe to say I’m not picking it up again any time soon?

But with skillz like yours, I hope you keep it up for your whole life!!

Becky Newsons last blog post..I Hope I Earned Them

Deb - Mom of 3 GirlsJanuary 23rd, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Summer, that is gorgeous! I was never that talented with crocheting even when it did it all the time. Unless it was square or round, I was stumped. ;)

I’ve had to switch to knitting lately though - my hands hurt too much when I crochet. Sigh.

Deb - Mom of 3 Girlss last blog post..Aloha Friday #66

AnnetteJanuary 23rd, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Cute! I’m more of a knitter, but if I ever decide to pick up my crocet hook again, I’ll come hunting down this pattern.

Annettes last blog post..Writing Journey: Part III

kennaJanuary 23rd, 2009 at 10:57 pm

That is by far the cutest crocheted thing I’ve ever seen. You should have charged for that pattern. You COULD have.

And side note: sadly, I’m pretty sure we learned to crochet around the same time and I sucked so bad I gave it up in a jiffy (my stitch “tightness” is nowhere close to consistent) and now? Now, this pattern lingo is like Greek to me.

kennas last blog post..They were rude. And when I asked them to be nice, they were even more rude.

Carol VRJanuary 23rd, 2009 at 11:56 pm

I so wish I knew how to do more than a basic crochet stitch.

That looks AMAZING!!!!

Carol VRs last blog post..More pictures from the weekend…

[...] out the beautiful handbag that Summer from Summer’s Nook crocheted! And she even includes the pattern - if it [...]

natalieJanuary 25th, 2009 at 9:05 pm

Ohhhhhhhh, Summer! Is there no end to your awesomeness? Seriously! Start selling these. I want to purchase one for my two-year-old, please. Amazingly cute and impressive, though it doesn’t surprise me that your first try would turn out like this….

DanielleJanuary 25th, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Little miss talented… the shower invitations you made are very cute and I can’t believe this cute little bag!! I’m now just waiting to finding out what you do perfectly next. :)

Amanda DJanuary 26th, 2009 at 11:29 pm

That is so beautiful! I’m very impressed.

Amanda Ds last blog post..Daybook

Charles MooreJanuary 27th, 2009 at 8:16 am

Beautiful and Inspiring!

mimiJanuary 30th, 2009 at 3:30 pm

I love to crochet and I am going to try to re-create this bag. i’ve been making baby hats galore for all my friends who are preggers….but this will be a present for me. Thanks for sharing it!

LyndiLouAugust 4th, 2009 at 6:04 pm

This is AWESOME! I love the beads in the flower!!! You are so detail oriented! I like that! Someday when my Mom is hiring crocheters who are meticulous… I’m SOOO nominating you! ;)

Clotilde m.November 3rd, 2010 at 12:01 am

Very cute! The beads are a lovely detail that enhances the flower.