Apr 09 2009

Advice? Ideas? Anyone?

Published by Summer at 8:16 pm under Babies, Kids

Sassypants will be two on the 19th. She’s a headstrong little girl who is prone to throwing small tantrums, but tonight she did something unlike anything I’ve ever seen and it scared me to death.

She was very grumpy and whining off and on with her fingers in her mouth so I figured maybe she was teething again but as I went to give her some tylenol she stuck her tongue out and I saw a large cut in her tongue. I have no idea how or when she got it. It looks much longer and deeper than a typical bite would be so I’m a little freaked that she swallowed something sharp somehow. Anyway I gave her medicine but she kept getting more irritated.

At dinner she wanted to sit in my lap so I picked her up and then a moment later she started fussing and acting like she wanted down so I put her down. Suddenly she was on the floor writhing around, bawling. She’s done that before so no worries yet. Then she stands on her head and starts scooting around on her head wailing. A moment later she’s rolling back over to my chair. She pulls herself up and hits her head against my chair, then she stumbles over to her high chair and begins hitting it screaming and crying then she comes back and hits her head really hard against my chair again. At this point I’m very worried. I pick her up like I’ve done before and tell her sternly to stop but there is no recognition. There was just an absolutely frantic look in her eye and she was hyperventilating, she was squirming to get out of my arms and kicking herself up and down off my legs and she landed on my dinner plate, flipped it up and shattered it. I was so flustered and angry with her behavior at that point I just put her back down on the ground and walked away. Her screams and wails and hitting things continued for another 5 straight minutes. I was ready to hyperventilate too. It was absolutely the most psychotic behavior I’ve ever seen a child exhibit and I have no idea what it means or what to think?

Should I take her to the hospital to see if she did swallow something sharp that is causing her pain? Is this something you’ve ever seen a toddler do?

She fell asleep for a bit after that but when she woke up she immediately started crying and writhing around in her crib.

She has TWO bruises on her forehead now from hitting herself. I’m just stunned and a little scared. Help!

11 Comments to “Advice? Ideas? Anyone?”

1. KimberlyNo Gravataron 09 Apr 2009 at 8:32 pm

Oh honey, that IS scary! I have a niece who used to hit things with her head when she threw tantrums, but that sounds a bit beyond. I’d take her to the hospital for sure, for peace of mind if nothing else. :sad:
    Kimberlys last blog post..Random

2. JennyNo Gravataron 09 Apr 2009 at 9:01 pm

My condolences to you both. :sad: I’ve never seen a tantrum or fit quite that bad, but kids can do some pretty incredible stuff when they’re upset. I would figure that in the absence of any other symptoms you aren’t in need of a doctor’s visit (providing this type of behavior doesn’t continue too long). Best of luck.

3. Miriam Robbins MidkiffNo Gravataron 09 Apr 2009 at 9:15 pm

I would call your pediatrician’s office or urgent care center immediately to talk to a nurse. Tell her everything you wrote here. If she has swallowed something sharp, your daughter needs immediate care. If not, then you have peace of mind. This isn’t something I’d hesitate on.

Miriam Robbins Midkiffs last blog post..Free Webinar from MyCanvas

4. AnnetteNo Gravataron 09 Apr 2009 at 9:17 pm

I’m with Miriam–if there’s something wrong, it would be good to catch it, and if there’s not, a trip to Urgent Care will bring you peace of mind. Let us know what happens!

Annettes last blog post..Calling People Good with Titles

5. kelibbysmomNo Gravataron 09 Apr 2009 at 9:54 pm

When it comes to the kids, I say better safe than sorry. If you have any intuitions it is something more than a typical temper tantrum (this doesn’t sound typical), than go with your gut feeling. Good luck Summer! I hope everything is okay.

kelibbysmoms last blog post..How much is an education worth?

6. An Ordinary MomNo Gravataron 09 Apr 2009 at 10:23 pm

I might be late to this game, but I would definitely call your doctor’s office. There could be something causing her internal pain … or maybe not. But you should always be on the safe side!

Good luck! We will pray for you and your little one!

An Ordinary Moms last blog post..A 4 Year Old’s Version of Spring

7. Mrs. OrganicNo Gravataron 09 Apr 2009 at 10:42 pm

You know how this works, right? If you take her to the hospital it will turn out to be nothing but Terrible Two’s. However, if you DON’T it just might turn out to be something more serious. At least, that’s how it always seems to work for me.

I’d take her for peace of mind if nothing else. Especially considering the cut in her tongue. Could she have bitten it if she fell?

Mrs. Organics last blog post..Being Serious is highly overrated

8. Write From KarenNo Gravataron 10 Apr 2009 at 9:33 am

This might have started out as a tantrum (though the cut on the tongue does worry me) but the fact that she is hitting her head, writhing and waking up crying, makes it sound like either A. she hurt herself while in the midst of a tantrum, or B. something is wrong and she’s not sure how to handle it.

I would definitely call her doctor’s office and see what they say. And if she’s having trouble waking up or seems groggy, or out of sorts, take her to the doctor immediately.

Write From Karens last blog post..Changing Nicknames

9. Becky NewsonNo Gravataron 10 Apr 2009 at 10:56 am

I’m not one to run to the doctor for any ol’ thing, or even most things, but all the information you wrote here would be enough to make me call my doctor and get their advice. I might not go straight to ER/Urgent Care, but I would at very least see what a medical professional thinks. The behavior does sound like *something* is wrong, and like other said, better safe than sorry for something like this.

Hope all is well, by this time of morning!

Becky Newsons last blog post..April 1st Rundown

10. AmberNo Gravataron 10 Apr 2009 at 5:22 pm

Ugh. It is SOOOO tough to know and in the end, it’s about following your gut. I remember my sweet son threw a tantrum and I thought he was dying and was about to run him to the ER. Turned out that was my intro to the Terrible 2s. :-)

Ambers last blog post..A whole lotta mom blog nothings

11. LoniNo Gravataron 10 Apr 2009 at 5:51 pm

YES, take her to the hospital. You probably already have by this point. Let us know.

Lonis last blog post..It’s Official