Take care of those pests with Febreze?

WARNING: The following may disgust and disturb you, but I’ve never been one to beat around the bush so…

We lived in this apartment for 6 years without ANY pest problems at all. Then suddenly, within a two month span we found our apartment crawling with cockroaches and mice. The pest control dudes have been here time and again with few to no results. We keep catching mice. They keep appearing. We have our place sprayed for roaches. They keep appearing. We keep this place as clean and tidy as possible. They keep appearing.

Today, I was busy cleaning the kitchen and was doing the mopping. When I walked by the fridge some movement caught my eye. Suddenly I saw 3 no 4, no 7, no 10, no, even more cockroaches! All very little, probably newly hatched crawling between and in and out from under the metal strip between the carpet and the linoleum. I dropped the mop and grabbed the Febreze. I don’t know why that is what I went for, but there I was spraying at cockroaches with air freshener.

The cockroaches started zig zagging around in fear I guess. Then I sprayed some more and their movement slowed. Then I pulled the trigger and I let the can spray until they were dead in a puddle of Febreze on the floor and my can was half empty. Yeah, I really hate cockroaches.

The movement was gone, they were all dead. Then the thought hit me. If Febreze can kill cockroachs that fast, should I really be “freshening” up my kitchen with it, breathing it in on a daily basis?

Jenni OwensMay 1st, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Thats a good thought! My mom use to kill cockroaches with hairspray… so should we really be using that? haha who knows, eh? I would have written comments, but I have been out of the country. I know everyone gives that excuse, but seriously!

Jenni Owenss last blog post..

Richelle FMay 1st, 2009 at 1:16 pm

Yuck! We’ve got ants here. They are tiny but show up every where. My son finds them and tells me they are his friends. Lovely.

KimberlyMay 1st, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Oh my…now there’s a thought!

So sorry for the pest problems. I think I’ll stop complaining about the ants now…

Kimberlys last blog post..Bun in the Oven

Becky NewsonMay 1st, 2009 at 2:51 pm

Wow. That’s a terrible sort of pest problem to have after so many years. Sounds like your management should be evicting some neighbors somewhere near you, don’t you think??

And YIKES. Febreeze killed cockroaches? Those things are darn near invincible! I can’t even count how many shows I’ve watched that try to kill cockroaches in various ways, and fail miserably. And a common air freshener did them in.

Something is VERY wrong with that.

Becky Newsons last blog post..Facebook Friday

KarleneMay 1st, 2009 at 9:23 pm

The say cockroaches can survive a nuclear winter. But I’m guessing your drowned them more than anything.

I hope.

Karlenes last blog post..I’m on YouTube!

AnnetteMay 1st, 2009 at 10:06 pm

YUCK! I’ve heard about how hard it is to kill those puppies. How totally bizarre that Febreeze did it!

LeslieMay 1st, 2009 at 11:28 pm

I hate cockroaches!!! My skin was crawling just reading about them! :cwy:
Leslies last blog post..A Quick & Short Post

LyndiLouMay 2nd, 2009 at 3:42 pm

Bleck. I’m glad you lived through this to tell your tale! I can just see you now, like a modern day super hero… Febreeze in hand! ;)

JennyMay 4th, 2009 at 8:53 pm

That made me laugh. I’ll think of cockroaches every time I see frebreeze. It’s a motivator for me to clean too- I’m sure our dirty food-covered kitchen floor is a good invitation for them.

Jennys last blog post..Gardening

LukeJune 8th, 2009 at 3:22 am

i febrezed some ants and they died on the spot instantly as soon as the liquid touched them

test@msn.comJuly 10th, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Sounds like a winner! When Febreze was first introduced to the market I remeber a rumor after rumor of this product hurting small animals. I’ve resisted purchasing it since then. But it’s a fact too much of ONE thing is not good for any one.

ScottFebruary 8th, 2010 at 9:01 pm

It could just be that you drowned them.

Dan M.July 28th, 2010 at 7:52 pm

Fedreze works! I had a whole bunch in my trash, didn’t have any ant spray so I sprayed it and presto! They died as fast as they came. I’ll use this from now on. Get the knock off at the .99 cent stores.

Mhu CaoOctober 10th, 2010 at 1:06 pm

Out of nowhere, ANTS! A conga line of them stretched from behind the bookshelves, across the dining room, to the kitchen trash can. The first thing at hand was a spray bottle of Febreze, which I picked up and squeezed a triggerful down on a large area. A fine mist drifted down.

At first, it looked like they froze upon contact with the spray. As time went on, I realized that they were all dead. So, back towards the bookshelf I went, aerial bombing all the way, spreading death to the hundreds of ants along the trail. Instantly dead.

I did little different from a basic Febreze application, with the bottle held at about waist level. My fiance freaks out at spiders, so I suppose they are next.

My baseboards are going to get a treatment of my home-brew capsacin and boric acid creep inhibitor concoction. That will give long-term protection, but the Febreze instant-kill will be on my COSTCO list.