A Christmas Outing

Tonight we decided to visit the Washington D.C. Temple Visitor’s Center. If you’re not sure what an LDS temple is, you can read more about them here. We didn’t go inside the temple tonight. But it sure looked beautiful:

037

Instead we went to the visitors center. The surrounding trees and shrubs are decorated beautifully every Christmas season:

058

We went to a 45 minute hand bell concert. I don’t have pictures of that but it was enchanting. I love the pure sound of bells in harmony with each other. After that we went to the nativity display. Every year the visitors center sets up a large room full of nativity sets from around the world. We saw sets from the Congo, Bethlehem, Haiti, Germany, Madagascar, Ireland and many other places. This was my favorite camel, made all out of straw:

043

And below is my very favorite nativity scene:

045

It’s from Australia and is the most unique set I’ve ever seen. Made all out of sand and shell and real pearls. It’s just lovely isn’t it? We had a wonderful night!

Carol VRDecember 12th, 2009 at 1:33 pm

Love the photos. They look like postcards.

We had a handbell choir at the gradeschool I attended and participated in.

JennyDecember 13th, 2009 at 9:07 pm

The photos are beautiful- I love the way the lights are done on the trees. I just read through several of your old posts that I missed when I was sick– it was wonderful to read. I like how you write Summer. Your thoughts about dealing with panic attacks are inspiring. Oh- and I enjoyed listening to your piano composition. It sounded familiar to me… I think I remember hearing it from when we were in school together :) It is a nice song.

JaniceNWDecember 14th, 2009 at 12:39 am

I NEED a shell nativity set. It’s gorgeous and creative. Wow. Awesome pictures Summer and it sounds like a great evening! Hugs. :heart:

NatalieDecember 14th, 2009 at 3:10 am

Oh, you luckys! What a beautiful picture! Merry Christmas to you all!

NikkiDecember 14th, 2009 at 3:55 pm

Wow, how beautiful! I love doing Christmas activities like that around Christmas time. And being on the Temple grounds brings a lovely, peaceful feeling.

*LyndiLou*December 17th, 2009 at 2:50 am

How beautiful and fun!!! I’ve heard about places with big Nativity displays… but I haven’t been. It sounds like a lot of fun! The seashell one is awesome! Glad you had a good time!