I enjoy a busy winter

It distracts nicely from the dreary landscape. I’m not a big fan of doing update posts, not that they’re below me or something. I simply like to try and be more creative in my writing. However, today is a day for an update post.

1. We are likely going to be going to law school this fall.

I paused for dramatic effect. Did it work?
I’m not going to law school of course, it would be the hubby. He wants to be a Biotech Patent Lawyer. At least he’ll finally be getting his PhD and at least he now has a specific goal in sight. Honestly, I’m on board with it. Well, in so far as we don’t end up doing BYU. I’ll of course adapt if we go to Utah but all my dreams of experiencing someplace new will be crushed. :)

2. My oldest child will be turning eight very soon and I am planning on making this birthday a very memorable one. The eighth birthday is a special one for most LDS children. It’s the age at which they may choose to be baptized into the church. So anyway, I have planned a fun party for him.

I came up with some birthday themes for him to choose from and he decided to go with an outer space theme. Since we’re tight on money I am doing as much as possible from scratch. I cut out 50 poster board stars in varying sizes and as of today, they are all hanging from the ceiling. I also created all 8 planets (r.i.p. Pluto) using paper mache. The boys painted the various details on each planet and then I hung the planets from the ceiling as well.

Right now I have some fondant cake decorations drying on the counter top and I’ve put together goody bags for each guest. It’s probably crazy, all this work I’m putting into it, but I’ve found it very fun. I had never done any paper mache before so it was a great excuse to try it and it’s been a long time since I’ve made any homemade decorations. Made me feel like a kid again.

I promise to post pictures of the decor and the cake when it is all finished. I know Count Dooku we’ll appreciate my efforts someday when he’s looking through photographs.

JenniJanuary 21st, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Poor Pluto!! I am anxious to see the photos, and question… was it Count Dooku who cried when Pluto lost it’s planet status?

KarenJanuary 22nd, 2010 at 11:14 am

Make sure you post pictures of your party! Michelle told me about law school and Bill’s been keeping me updated on places - I can’t wait to hear where you end up! I, for one, would not be at all disappointed if it ends up being BYU.

Carol VRJanuary 22nd, 2010 at 10:05 pm

:alien: We did a space themed party a few years back for our son on the cheap. We bought kool-aid drink pouches and made up labels identifying them as rocket fuel. We made an alien landing pad in our front yard and used a booster seat with a sign for prop and took the kids photos. For the live of me I’m trying to remember the other details. It was well received and I wish you the best on his special day. :alien:

kailaniJanuary 24th, 2010 at 3:52 am

What ambition! I’m sure he’ll really appreciate all your hard work. I haven’t done paper mache in such a long time but I do know it was pretty time consuming. I’m sure everything will turn out great!

NatalieJanuary 28th, 2010 at 2:43 am

Hooray for law school! Honestly, I hope you go to UT (sorry), because it’s likely we won’t see you if you end up in Germany. But you can speak German, even when you’re in UT. (Nevermind that few will understand…)
Happy birthday to Count Dooku! Of course, of course, your decor will be AMAZING, and I can’t wait to see pictures. You are the best momma!
Miss you.

VirtualSpriteJanuary 30th, 2010 at 11:25 am

Happy birthday to your little guy! My youngest is really into space, too. It’s so much fun. I love that you’re doing all your own decorations and making your own cake. I refuse to spend $30 on a cake when I can bake one and decorate it myself for less than $5. (Money is tight here, too.)

Thanks for the comment on my blog! It was nice hearing from another genealogy enthusiast.

KimberlyFebruary 5th, 2010 at 1:47 pm

I feel kind of guilty for wanting you to end up in Utah since I go there once a year. So, so selfish of me. =)

AmandaFebruary 16th, 2010 at 3:06 am

Hi Summer! Thank you so much for visiting my new home on the web! I am so glad you’re designing again! I’ll be sure to send some people your way (I get asked for recommendations a few times a month) now that you’re open for custom designs again.