Nine years of Marriage

It was on December 19th of this last month, our anniversary, that our middle child started throwing up. Then we all followed suit. I was the last to get it and recovered just before Christmas Day. So much for celebrating our anniversary. Maybe in a week or two we’ll get to go out.

Anyhow, I was thinking today about an amusing thing that happened on the day we got married and wanted to share it with you. You see, if I could go back and do things over I would have rented a wedding dress. But for some reason I had it in my 19 year old mind that I wanted to buy an insanely expensive piece of clothing I would wear but once. So I went dress shopping, looking for the perfect dress and knew that if I found it, I must fit into it no matter the cost. Eventually I did find it, the dress that perfectly represented me. I tried it on in a size 3/4 (I was a lot smaller then) and it was too large in some areas. When I asked about alterations, I was told that due to the style, it couldn’t be taken in in the problem areas. So then I asked to try on a size 1/2. It was tight around the middle, but fit fine everywhere else so I bought it.

I had only worn it for a few moments in that dressing room and didn’t realize how very tight it was. I also didn’t take into account that I would be wearing the thing for around 7 hours total

As I dressed in my gown on my wedding day I felt really beautiful, but I also noticed that I felt light headed the longer I had it on. It was really constricting my breathing. It was pretty much the equivalent of what I imagine a corset is, but I knew I would just have to endure and take slow, deep breaths. What I didn’t realize was that during the entire ceremony, my slow and deep breaths were very noticeable and a little shuddery, as I tried to expand my lungs to take in the air I needed to stay conscious. I later found out that my soon to be husband was truly wondering if I was about to bolt from the room, leaving him at the altar. Poor me. Poor him.

So a word of advice for future brides. Just rent the dress and use your money for something better, like a good photographer, and never try to squeeze into something that might make you pass out on your wedding day.

NikkiJanuary 5th, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Ha ha, good advice! It’s definitely a good thing to be able to breathe on your wedding day. I’m glad you made it through the whole day conscious :tongue:

Carol VRJanuary 5th, 2010 at 6:24 pm

I’d love to see a picture of your dress!!!

chauwellJanuary 5th, 2010 at 7:20 pm

I wasn’t planning on getting a dress and everyone seemed to be on board with this plan. Then 1 month before the wedding, the ‘need’ arose to get a dress.

I didn’t care (I was graduating the day before I the cermony and I had finals), so I let my 3 younger sisters pick the dress. One wanted a really long train, another wanted a really full skirt, and the last one wanted a short sleeves. Considering the youngest sister was 11 at the time, they did a pretty good job finding a non-hideous dress.

We got the dress a size too big and took in the extra material. My mother plans on having all of her daughters use the dress. So far, 2 down, 2 to go.

kailaniJanuary 5th, 2010 at 11:31 pm

I can’t believe you had to go through that on your wedding day! You poor thing. It’s a good thing you didn’t pass out!

Alien shirtJanuary 6th, 2010 at 11:44 pm

I hoping you update more.

An Ordinary MomJanuary 7th, 2010 at 2:05 am

I second your advice :) !!

Love the story … glad you stayed conscious :) !!

Grandma DannerJanuary 7th, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Nevertheless you were a beautiful bride, and the dress was soooo your personality. I’m glad it didn’t cause you to lose consciousness though at just the wrong moment.

LaurelJanuary 7th, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Summer, you can’t have a post like that without a picture! I’m just trying to imagine it all now. Great story! Good advice, too. I too would’ve rented if I only knew I’d still have this useless piece of expensiveness hidden in the back of the closet, never to see the light of day again…. :)

WalterJanuary 12th, 2010 at 8:42 am

Most of us, when celebrating a special moment in our life wants to make everything perfect and memorable. In the case of marriage, any bride would want to have a beautiful wedding gown on that very special day of her life. Perhaps being practical was out of the picture, it is for that special moment alone that she wants to be in her very best. :-)

AmandaJanuary 27th, 2010 at 1:00 pm

Beautiful blog and great pictures! I recently upgraded from my Nikon D60 (although keeping it as a second body) to a Nikon D200 and I am taking my photography a lot more seriously too. Nice to know you’re a photo-enthusiast too.

And, a late head’s up, I ‘ve moved Moving Forward to WP.com. I had been thinking about it for a while, but after I accidentally deleted my Moving Forward header you designed (needed when reinstalling template after Christmas premade came down), I just decided to go ahead and move. I’m enjoying my new home. ;-)