Decoupage Decorative or Baby Blocks

blockssmall7

I got the urge to make something completely new today and I found the world of decoupage. It’s crazy easy stuff but can yield really amazing results. I decided to decorate some wooden blocks and show you how I did it.

1. First you’ll need an assortment of pretty coordinating paper.

blockssmall1

2. And you’ll also need some wooden blocks which you can find at most craft stores, along with the pretty paper.

blockssmall3

3. Now you need to cut the paper into squares that are about the same size as the sides of your block. If they’re not perfect, that’s ok. You can fix them later.

blockssmall2

4. Now, using some Mod Podge or other decoupage paste, coat one side of your block in a thin layer of paste and put a square of paper on it. Make sure you press down on all the edges for a secure seal. Wipe away any glue around the edges.

blockssmall4

5. If you find your paper is a little big, you can trim it to fit with a pair of scissors.

blockssmall5

6. Continue adding papers to your each block to complete all sides. Be sure to let each block dry completely before the next step. Assuming you’re going to do the next step anyway. It’s optional. Once they’re dry you can sand the edges of each block if desired.

blockssmall6

7. Spray each block with some clear coat acrylic spray and let dry. Now you are finished. If you want to use them as baby blocks you could put alphabet stickers on them or decoupage letters before spraying.

blockssmall8

KimberlyApril 12th, 2010 at 7:20 pm

Those are lovely, Summer! I’m tempted to do something along those line for Christmas gifts this year…

chauwellApril 12th, 2010 at 8:18 pm

You might like a project they discussed recently on Martha Stewart.

I plan on making a set of these for my nieces and nephews for a Christmas Present!

If you like decoupage, you might also want to look up ‘washi eggs’. I made a few of those for my mother-in-law for Easter.

MichelleApril 12th, 2010 at 9:06 pm

They turned out so pretty, and it sounds pretty simple too!

*LyndiLou*April 13th, 2010 at 4:11 pm

Lovely Summer! :) They are super cute! Thanks for reminding me to get clear acrylic spray! :)

NO REASON NEEDEDApril 13th, 2010 at 10:55 pm

I thought at first that you’d destroyed some wonderful wooden “letter” blocks and almost cringed. They are becoming a thing of the past and I’ve saved all the ones from our children. Oh how I love those classic toys that last the test of time.

Love the blocks, and thanks for the tutorial.

NO REASON NEEDEDApril 13th, 2010 at 10:56 pm

test… I seem to have great difficulty from time to time in getting my comments to post….ARRGGGHH

NO REASON NEEDEDApril 13th, 2010 at 10:57 pm

Great work!!! Thanx for the tutorial.

Gwen BrownMay 16th, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Here are some other cute homemade baby gift ideas…personalized baby blocks: