Moving

Around six months ago my husband came home from work and said boldly, “I see a path!”

I knew it meant trouble before he even started explaining. Long story short, he had decided he wanted to go to law school. He had been toying with the idea of becoming a patent agent for a while but when he realized patent lawyers do a similar job but make more money he decided law school might be worth it. Surprisingly enough, I was on board with this plan by the very next day. It just felt right. And besides, what’s three more years of school when you’ve already done eight?

So in December he took the LSAT and scored a 172 (99th percentile). If only his graduating gpa had been just a tad higher we might have been able to attend our dream school with that kind of number. We got accepted to 7 different schools and two of those schools offered us full scholarships, one of them being BYU. Duke offered us a third of tuition which sadly, wasn’t enough to justify going there. The idea of adding 100k + in debt in addition to what we already have just wouldn’t be worth it.

After other school considerations, we finally decided on BYU. Tom put in his deposit and we’ll be moving to Utah this fall.

I know. Utah. The one place I never wanted to go back to. But in spite of my many fears and reservations about returning, I feel at peace with our decision. I’ve been thinking daily about the many positive aspects of moving back and I know my experience will be a good one if I maintain the right attitude. I am happy to see family and friends again.

Oh and for those of you wondering if Tom is simply throwing away 8 years of PhD study, he isn’t. He intends to be a Biotech Patent Lawyer so his Biology PhD will have been necessary for this step. Utah here we come.

Mrs. OrganicApril 6th, 2010 at 6:54 pm

I’m excited for you - I hope you love coming back to the mountains, but I bet you are going to miss all the green! (maybe you can teach me a thing or two about photography)

AnnetteApril 6th, 2010 at 8:13 pm

This means I might be able to meet you in real life! Exciting news for sure.

Kelibby's momApril 6th, 2010 at 8:22 pm

We can’t wait to see you!

KarenApril 6th, 2010 at 8:30 pm

I’m so happy! I can’t wait to see you!

*LyndiLou*April 7th, 2010 at 1:32 am

Oh Summer!!! That’s fun news! *:D* Congrats on the scholarship… good for him!!! I think we’ll have to get together when you get out here! It would be fun to see you again and it would be great to bask in your awesomeness in real life instead of just stalking you online! ;) When will you be back?!? You’ll have to come to the Eclipse party my Mom is throwing… unless you’re a Twilight-Hater, and then we’ll just have to do lunch! :)

chauwellApril 7th, 2010 at 8:44 am

Say hello to the mountains for us!

An Ordinary MomApril 7th, 2010 at 9:07 pm

I can see your hesitation, but you must be incredibly grateful to feel at peace with the decision and to know his education is getting paid for … even in this lousy economy! What a blessing. And in three years I will be excited for you to be done :) !!

NatalieApril 7th, 2010 at 9:22 pm

Let’s be honest. You make your dreams come true where ever you live. And call me selfish, because moving to Utah means I’ll get to see you. Hooray! Congrats and best of luck packing up…

cherylApril 8th, 2010 at 11:50 am

YES! I don’t blame you for not wanting to come back, but I’m glad you feel peace. That’s the most important part, eh? But I’m happy for you to come! :)

Hey! I’ll introduce you to Annette. We’ll have a blogger party!

BrockApril 8th, 2010 at 12:52 pm

You mean my university admitted Tom? And gave him a scholarship? We must have lower standards than I thought… :)
We’re excited to have you guys out here. Let us know if there’s anything we can do on our end to help.